Recap: Post-Holiday Crafternoon!
For the last couple of years, I have enjoyed inviting friends over around the holidays to partake in some merriment and holiday-themed crafting. It has usually been a pre-Christmas tradition, running the Somerville Jingle Bell Run 5k and then gathering together to eat, drink and craft to our hearts' content. This year, however I had another commitment before the Jingle Bell Run and would be traveling home a little earlier than normal for the holidays so I decided to host the gathering after Christmas. With that a whole slew of holiday crafts were wiped from the slate and we needed a more neutral project to tackle so I landed on the glittered candle holders.
Here is what you will need to get started.
- tape (masking works great!)
- glitter (whatever color you choose)
- Mod Podge (this should be in every crafter's tool box)
- a paint brush (we used craft sponge brushes)
- a variety of mason jars (Michael's has lots of different sizes and shapes!)
- a spray sealant (We used the Mod Podge brand)
Below are a few steps to help get you creating:
- Remove the metal lid, if there is one and then start to apply tape in patterns around your chosen jar - use stripes, dots, geometric shapes to make a design - remember tape only where you don't want glitter.
- Next apply Mod Podge using a sponge brush to all the areas of glass where you want glitter - do your best not to cover the tape because you will eventually want to peel this off.
- While the Mod Podge is wet, dip your mason jar in your chosen glitter, making sure to cover all areas - do this liberally and then set the jar to the side to let drive for at least 15 minutes.
- Repeat steps 1-3 until you have decorated all of your jars.
- Once all are dry, peel the tape off of the
- Find a well ventilated area and then apply the spray sealant, covering all surfaces of the jar. Let dry for 15 minutes and repeat 2-3 times. This helps keep the glitter in place.
These were particularly festive for the New Year but can be used year round as a way to liven up your home.
Here's a few more snaps from the party! Thanks to everyone for joining! Especially Gina for her perfect party attendance - hooray!